Published on September 17, 2019
Bostik stays ahead of industry trends with the introduction of laminating PU adhesives free of GLYMO and other substances of concern.
Bostik, the leading specialty adhesives business unit of Arkema, manufactures and offers tailored and sustainable solutions in a variety of industrial markets.
Committed to the responsible stewardship of its products, Bostik is focusing its efforts on predicting future trends and developing product ranges that ensures safety of people and the environment, thanks to the company’s regulatory and formulation expertise. This includes anticipating tightening regulatory constraints and offering solutions that meet customer expectations.
Since the substance GLYMO [(3-glycidyloxypropyl) trimethoxysilane CAS no. 2530-83-8] has a genotoxic potential, the European adhesive association FEICA has recommended its members replace GLYMO in food packaging adhesives by the end of 2020.
Committed to sustainable development and consumer safety, Bostik has already developed a GLYMO-free array of one- and two-component laminating polyurethane (PU) adhesives for food contact packaging. The product line includes both solvent-based and solvent-free technologies for a wide range of applications, from general use to high performance.
In addition to being free of epoxy silanes such as GLYMO, Bostik’s product range also does not contain BPA (bisphenol A), epoxy resins, phthalate plasticisers, o-phthalic acid or tin compounds, which are currently categorized as substances of concern in food packaging.
This product line includes newly developed adhesives for high-performance packaging laminates, such as a product exclusively designed for high chemical resistance and the UHP 150 modular system. The modular system can be combined with three different hardeners to fit various market requirements:
- With Purbinder C1, it creates an aromatic system that is suitable for pasteurization, retort, cold-forming and general usage for mid- to high-performance laminates.
- With Purbinder C10, it creates an aliphatic system, which means it is PAA (primary aromatic amine) free and offers yellowing resistance. It is suitable for pasteurization, retort and cold-forming, and for curing with a climatic chamber.
- With the innovative, new Purbinder CX, it creates an aliphatic system that is PAA free with yellowing resistance. It is compliant with FDA 177.1390 and suitable for pasteurization, retort and cold forming, and delivers fast cure at room temperature.
About Bostik, an Arkema company
- Product information: Sylvain BARTNICKI I firstname.lastname@example.org I + 33 7 77 31 01 65
- Medias : Emmanuelle LOURIA I email@example.com I +33 1 55 99 90 68