Innovation is in our DNA
At Bostik we are on a constant quest to find new smarter ways of doing things. Innovation is at the heart of our history and remains one of our biggest priorities today
In 2014 alone, 3% of our total sales were invested in R&D, while 14% of sales came from new innovative products.
Adhesives research on a global scale
To anticipate the future needs of our customers we have a global research and development network, comprising:
- Three smart technology centers across three continents (Asia, Europe and the Americas): developing Bostik’s core adhesive technology platforms
- 11 applied technology centers: meeting regional needs and providing know-how in specific areas of technical expertise
- 500 R&D specialists from Shanghai to Wauwatosa: collaborating to develop increasingly higher performance adhesives and sealants
This centralized R&D model accelerates the pace of Bostik innovation, helping us achieve breakthroughs more quickly and efficiently. It allows us to file 15 to 20 priority patents every year.
But most importantly, our innovations deliver benefits to our customers across countless applications. From advanced grouts that remove time-consuming processes in construction, to fire retardant adhesives for trains, all our smart technologies start with an investment in R&D.
Our innovation strategy is focussed on materials science. Bostik research chemists and materials scientists constantly explore the boundaries of adhesive technologies, developing advanced materials for tomorrow’s bonding solutions.
Materials science will provide the key breakthroughs for our industry. Our raw materials will evolve from base chemicals and polymers to ‘smart’ revolutionary materials that are tailor designed at the molecular or nanoscale level.
Francois Court, Bostik Research, Development and Innovation Director
Three levels of innovation
With our focus on centralized R&D and materials science, our innovation strategy can be broken down into three distinct levels.
These activities cover upstream, downstream and open innovation and combine to meet pressing customer challenges.
- Adhesives research and technology development
Within our smart technology centers, and often in collaboration with academic partners, our research chemists and materials scientists explore the boundaries of our core technologies. Our specialists develop functional materials, new polymer building blocks and adhesive bonding processes that are the base of our present and future innovations.
- Product development and innovation
Drawing on our global technology know-how, our product development teams in each region develop a constant stream of new smart adhesives answering the needs of our customers in all the markets we serve.
Read our product innovation stories
Our applied technology centers are fitted with state-of-the-art pilot application equipment. They provide our industrial customers with invaluable advice on adhesive bonding process optimization. Many of our customers benefit from these application and training facilities close to their locations.
More on our applied technology centers
Our R&D teams also monitor the long-term forces that shape innovation. ‘Megatrends’ in demographics, energy and technology have a far-reaching impact on all of us, not least global businesses.
For Bostik, this means identifying the macro changes which influence our markets and innovating smart solutions to meet these pressing challenges. With our customers in construction and industrial manufacturing, we’re already addressing several megatrends:
- Energy efficient buildings: our insulation and waterproofing solutions are meeting demands for energy efficiency in construction.
Discover the Bostik Smart House
- Energy efficient transport: Bostik automotive adhesives are increasingly focused on lightweight bonding to improve fuel efficiency.
Read our blog: ‘Bonding vs. fasteners – time to switch?’
- Aging populations: inform our work with medical tapes and pressure sensitive adhesives.
Learn more about our tape adhesives
Read more about our strategy