- General Transportation
- Tape & Label
12/17/2021 - 10 min
6 Easy Hot Melt Tank Preventive Maintenance Tips
Hot melt adhesives offer versatility, robustness, durability and flexibility. As a result, they are a common go-to adhesive choice for many applications. However, if not properly maintained, they can cause manufacturing issues and downtime. Follow these preventive maintenance steps to avoid hot melt tank problems before they happen.
- When using a melt tank, periodically verify that the set temperature matches the actual adhesive temperature in the tank.
- Keep the tank lid closed as much as possible. This prevents airborne fibers from getting into the melt tank, and it limits the exposure of the adhesive surface to oxygen.
- Maintain an even fill level within the tank making many small additions.
- During long idle times, either turn the system off, or turn the system temperature down to just above the softening point of the adhesive. This will also help conserve plant energy costs.
- On a regular basis, check the filters to ensure they are not clogged or close to being clogged with debris. Change them if needed.
- Keep the adhesive boxes closed as much as possible.