“The great challenge of the twenty-first century is to raise people everywhere to a decent standard of living while preserving as much of the rest of life as possible.”
—E. O. Wilson, American biologist and naturalist
Disposable hygiene products are designed to help improve quality of life and satisfy consumer needs in a variety of ways:
- Disposable diapers offer parents convenience, while helping to ensure skin health and comfort for their little ones.
- Feminine pads and adult incontinence products provide comfort, discretion, and protection day and night.
- Wetness indicators can give an additional layer of convenience and protection.
Additionally, disposable diapers, pads, and other absorbent hygiene articles can also offer benefits that support societal needs:
- Feminine products in particular support gender equality, female empowerment, and a reduction of menstrual poverty.
- Adult incontinence products may similarly promote age equality and a more active lifestyle.
Societal needs such as these are among those covered by the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).
Sustainable development goals, you, and the disposable hygiene industry
But what does this mean for manufacturers like you and suppliers including those of us at Bostik? Together, we can find ways to creatively and effectively balance consumer needs with sustainable development goals. From the perspective of environmental issues, this can include:
- Taking action regarding the climate and protecting life, including life below water
- Promote the circular economy through responsible consumption and production
- Enabling more sustainable end-of-life scenarios
And, because sustainability is at the intersection of environment, society, and economy, economic needs must also be considered. This is why we at Bostik work to:
- Assist customers like you in meeting your own sustainability goals
- Keep our products and yours competitive in the marketplace
Sustainable change comes from innovation and strong partnerships. Work with us. Together, the disposable hygiene industry can offer today’s consumers the products that help maintain quality of life whilst still allowing future generations to meet their own needs.
For more about the industry’s sustainability challenges, read “Embracing Sustainability in the Disposable Hygiene Industry.”
Learn more about sustainability and CSR
Through our ‘Responsibly for Hygiene’ programme of webinars, podcasts, content, and product launches, we aim to help producers at all levels stay in the know, expand CSR and sustainability knowledge, and make decisions supported by a holistic approach to the topic.