“Do not wait for extraordinary circumstances to do good action; try to use ordinary situations.”
– Jean Paul Richter, historian and author
Sustainability is a topic that is on the minds of many consumers today. For some, it is an important consideration in which products they buy. Disposable hygiene manufacturers who offer more sustainable everyday products can positively impact the environment. They may also find they have an edge in the marketplace with concerned consumers.
At Bostik, we know that our decisions impact your ability to become more sustainable. After examining this impact carefully, we’ve come to a surprisingly simple conclusion: The sustainable adhesive is one that enables and empowers the creation of sustainable disposable hygiene products. In particular, we believe a sustainable adhesive should:
- Be manufactured responsibly
- Result from open dialogue with manufacturers, our suppliers, allied suppliers, and other stakeholders
- Provide value through innovation by helping our customers meet their own sustainability goals
That’s why our experts have been looking at sustainability and circularity from every angle. How can we bring you added value?
Adhesives enable sustainable disposable hygiene products
Disposable hygiene adhesives can contribute to product sustainability in many ways. They support the use of:
- Bio-based substrates such as cotton and bamboo
- Thinner substrates which use fewer raw materials
- Substrates such as PLA that reduce the product’s carbon footprint
Adhesives can play a key role in this integration of sustainability as a significant function of the product—both overall and as a critical step in the design of a more circular eco-product.
In addition, hot melt adhesives offer certain advantages in composting and recycling that other bonding methods may not.
Manufacturers can also rely on many sustainable aspects of our supply chain. For example, we expect and require our suppliers to adhere to a strict code of conduct. Many of its tenets reflect the Together for Sustainability initiative and several of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. They include standards for human rights, safety, labour practices, fair wages, ethical expectations, and much more.
Targeted research and development for sustainable adhesives
One key element in our ongoing progress toward greater sustainability involves specific goals for R&D. Among these goals are:
- Reduced energy consumption by enabling lower application temperature
- Allowing lower add-on, to reduce materials consumption
- Development of adhesives made from raw materials that are increasingly bio-sourced or recycled
- Facilitating better end-of-life options such as recycling of disposable hygiene products and bringing value to recycled plastics
As our research pursues these and other goals, we will continue to ensure the quality and value of our adhesives. They must also meet our established standards for:
- Regulatory compliance
- Thermal stability, including odour and colour
As you work toward introducing and enhancing sustainability in your products and practices, connect with Bostik’s experts to learn more about your options. Help make a difference every day.